Server Upgrades

By AdamThompson 6y ago

This weekend I'm upgrading both the web server and the game server. Both are now on their own separate machines, located in Dallas, Texas, USA. Both are provisioned as cloud servers so that I can easily upgrade them as the game grows.

I'm working in Austin, Texas, so the Dallas location gives me low latency for development. It also gives US East and US West players approximately equal latency. Latency for Europeans and others may be slightly lower than before, since the old server was in California.

Note this means the game server will be unavailable until there is a new client released for alpha testers. (Because the old IP was hardcoded in the client - the new version will use the domain name!)

-AdamThompson 6y ago
Thank you for the update Adam - good to know that things are progressing. I wish you continued good luck with your efforts.

-Spolmit 6y ago
@Spolmit Thank you very much.

-AdamThompson 6y ago
@AdamThompson > Note this means the game server will be unavailable until there is a new client released for alpha testers. (Because the old IP was hardcoded in the client - the new version will use the domain name!)

What's the domain? Tempted to domain to IP and hexedit to try and login :P

-Ozymandias 6y ago
@Ozymandias proxima1.firstearthgame.com, do your worst! (But I am keeping the game server offline until I release a new client, to avoid confusion.)

-AdamThompson 6y ago
@AdamThompson Darn... did manage to find the original IP, 4C4A9879, or 76.74.152.121
Average 68 ping to the new one whereas I used to get 106 to the old one.

-Ozymandias 6y ago
Nice to know it's lower ^^

-AdamThompson 6y ago
Login or Register to reply.