First Earth 0.8.8 - Faster and Less Buggy

By AdamThompson 5y ago

The last build with deer had a bunch of bugs; this is a fixed-up version of that. Thanks for logging in and hitting the server. This build includes:

- Fixed a major server deadlock crash that your testing found.
- Each zone server process now has a companion process for faster data access.
- Zone-based sharding for objects now speeds up object access on server.
- Only nearby dynamic objects (including animals) are shown, for a huge framerate improvement.
- View distance increased back to normal.
- Fixed the defaults for the graphics settings. Anti-aliasing is now on by default.

So much better. I was able to move and walk around now! Also didn't experience the crashing issue either. The deer look much more spread out, was that changed?

-Chunky 5y ago
The spread of the deer wasn't changed at all, and the existing deer actually kept their same positions as before (besides wandering). Interesting that it seemed different.

-AdamThompson 5y ago
Thanks for testing it out :)

-AdamThompson 5y ago
Yup got a nice fps increase back to 40 in open areas. I still drop to about 15 inside thick forests at max settings, but that has been like that since the start and not introduced by 0.8.7.

-thejanitor 5y ago
If you're curious: The reason it's slower in forests is because trees near you are turned into high-poly 3D objects. That conversion from 2D to 3D happens a few dozen meters away from you, which is why sometimes it looks like trees at that distance are bending weirdly.

-AdamThompson 5y ago
It's been a while, so I'm not sure where I can see what bugs exist. But I just was playing some and after running up a mountain I returned to origin and "fell through the ground" Here's a screen shot of me looking up at the moon at the underside of many trees: Screen-mclazarus

Also if you look at my screen shot feed you'll see as you run past a tree if you click on it and get the "pine tree" label but it slides off the bottom of the view before disappearing you'll see it come flying in from the top of the view in about 1 second. Easy to reproduce, hard to screenshot in a meaningful way.

Anyway looks beautiful.

-mclazarus 5y ago
Hey -mclazarus! Glad to see you.

That bug was probably caused by "resetting to origin", because when you do that from a distant zone, it disconnects you and makes you re-login. That disconnection/relogin process is still pretty buggy, so a solution might be to restart the entire game. I might not fix it, since it's only for testing anyway.

Thanks! Looks like you were mainly on at night and stuck in a forest, heh. It's interesting to compare to your old 2012 screenshots.

-AdamThompson 5y ago
@mclazarus (and everyone), the bug with resetting to origin, and all the disconnect-related bugs, have been fixed! I found an easy fix that takes care of it all.

-AdamThompson 5y ago
(In the upcoming build.)

-AdamThompson 5y ago
Login or Register to reply.