Dev Video - Loading, Water Height, Deer

By AdamThompson 5y ago

Made my first video. Pretty nervous posting it! I'm planning to do these frequently, so I'm not going to promote this one very much. I'll ease into promoting these as I get more comfortable with them.

Let me know if you think it's interesting. I'm open to suggestions, please keep them gentle :-P

Enjoyed watching the video, especially the more technical details and the new deer system sounds cool. Referencing other games and talking about game design at a higher level was also interesting. In the future when you have more time to spend on videos just a few quick cuts to pictures / short videos of what you are talking about would definitely help with the flow.

In the first version of the deers will we be able to interact with them in any way?

-thejanitor 5y ago
That's a great idea about the videos, and someone on Reddit just mentioned the same thing. What I can do is set up a way to switch to my desktop display, and just show it in realtime in the game. I could have easily shown everything I was talking about.

I'm making no promises about the deers, we'll just have to see what I can get done :)

-AdamThompson 5y ago
I enjoyed the video as it seems to me to be the logical next phase in the development of First Earth. I was fascinated by some of the ideas and plans that you have but then I have been with your game for a long while now and you have already captured my interest.

I like to think that I can imagine what you have in mind from hearing what you have to say, however, other people may better understand your plans by looking at the game in action.

If I were the sort of person described above, looking at First Earth for the first time I would have liked to see clips of the in-game experience. This would be more likely to spark an initial interest and encourage me to look further into the game. Where clips were not possible, screenshots or even clipart images would have done

If it is possible, you may want to consider other videos that highlight things such as how skills can evolve / be unlocked, collecting resources, crafting, trading, combat, land owning etc. Each of these could potentially interest different groups of people and so increase the chances of a financially sound player-base.

I am interested in hearing just what the population cap will be on the server. This has regularly been an issue in Wurm forums where some people do 'hoard' animals to the consternation of other players.

Keep up the good work, I look forward to seeing your next video and the next stage in the game development.

-Spolmit 5y ago
Yeh in Wurm it was very common to fill up pens with hundreds of animals. As more and more people captured and penned the animals fewer and fewer were spawning in the wild due to the limited number overall. I remember after 2 weeks of the independence server launched the tundra we had settled next to which was initially amazing hunting grounds was barren with nothing else spawning.

The real problem was that all the animals in the pens were still having their pathing and AI calculated each tick even though they were effectively doing nothing and just stuck in a 1x1 area. So the server was wasting a bunch of time deciding which side of the pen to bounce the animal off next which could have been used to run new animals in the wild.

-thejanitor 5y ago
The video looks quite professional and reassuring.

But please, right now we don't need more promises, videos, beta announcements and marketing.

We need actual content in the game and some gameplay to show.

-Procne 5y ago
Thanks for the feedback, it's helpful. In future videos I'll have a setup where I can switch to on-screen stuff and show the game. I like the idea of doing different topics like crafting, trading, combat, etc. I was planning on doing that with blogs. Maybe I could write a blog, then do a short video attached to it.

The animal population problem is fascinating to me. For now, the animals spawn randomly, grow at a breeding rate, and have a maximum per area. I'm being careful about performance, but we'll have to see. I don't want a situation where caging animals in one area prevents them from spawning in another, that would really break immersion.

I have to do marketing like this at the same time as getting gameplay in, in order to have players when it's ready, so this is the right thing to do.

-AdamThompson 5y ago
I am sure it is easier to suggest than to code, but what about this:

If the density of population in an area is lower than target the mortality rate is low.

If the density rises to 100% of the normal / target for an area then the chance of disease arises. A farmer could then maintain a successful balance between the wildlife in their area and their farm animals- as it is in nature.

If the density increases to 150% (suggesting penning / farming is occurring) then the chance of disease is high and mortality is high.

That would allow natural / normal farming a high chance of success and make factory farming / penning less successful.

-Spolmit 5y ago
Login or Register to reply.